:::: MENU ::::

Monday, June 20, 2011

I said I would post today and I am. The tool that I told you I came across is VERY picky = and doesn't have the best error descriptions I guess one would call them. I will make a little cube right now to tell you examples of errors... This one actually worked to my surprise. Let me try with 2 cubes... I am going to see if I need a separate texture picture for each and every cube... here is a very very annoying error that you cant do anything about, Blender say that it cant use the material if the cube is in edit mode, which is understandable. The thing is I wasn't in edit mode beforehand. Let me try to find a fix. (a few minutes later) I found a fix. The materials must be joined (CTRL + J). That was stupid... the thing is though is the guy on the site said "Keep in mind, increasing the number of materials a mesh uses will exponentially increase the amount of draw calls required by the engine – keep the number of materials per mesh to two or less." Is that per separate piece? It must be, I don't think UDK cares if they are joined or not... Confusing. Back to my building I guess. Oh yea that brings up another point. We are changing the way buildings are made simply because the way we were following was from an artistic standpoint, not one in which you will get very high performance in a video game or nice visuals in a video game. The reason I say that is the way materials and textures and what not are not handled the same way they are in Blender as they are in UDK. I have to go and try on some swim shorts now so I guess that concludes this little installment. I'll see you next time.

                                         - Grant Oberhauser, Co Founder and Lead Developer

0 comments:

Post a Comment

You're awesome for even thinking of leaving a comment...

A call-to-action text Contact us